Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Road Trip

I drove 1,830 miles all by myself! I left Saturday to come to AZ. I arrived here Monday morning at 5 a.m. AZ time. My first day I drove from KY to OK. I slept overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I covered the windows with sheets and the front window with a sunscreen. I enjoyed myself, immensely. The second day I drove the rest of the way. I slept for 3 hours on the side of the road in AZ. The total cost of my gas to get out here was $170. I was (am) amazed. I love my new car! I had the car set on cruise control at 61 mph the first day and 64 mph the second day. I stopped every 3 1/2 hours. I filled the tank up everytime I stopped. I only let the tank get half empty before I filled it up again. I wonder if that is what helped me to get so good gas mileage. My car was loaded with stuff also. The day I got here I went walking with my Grampa, then we went and talked to some crematories about my Dad. After that I went and set up a bank account out here. That was a cool experience. The guy who set up my account had just moved out here from Cincy in July. We took the same roads to get out here and had similar experiences on the road. We had a good talk.

I had a family reunion last Sunday. I loved it, but of course I would since I place high value on family. I was also able to spend some time with my sister. I had a good time. I haven't been able to spend a whole lot of time with my family lately, and figured I should before I came out here. With that said...my Dad looks really sick. The last time he went to the doctor they told him he now has around 12-16 weeks of life left. So, I'm glad my job found out I was coming out here and fired me before I could quit. I made me move my plans up, and now I am able to spend more time with my Dad. We've been talking. He has picked someone to stand in his place at my wedding (whenever that may be), approved a song I want to play at my wedding in remembrance of him, and picked some names for my first child (if I have any). That's all we've done so far.

5 comments:

coffeechica said...

oh my goodness, girl! I cannot believe you are gone already! sigh! I am glad you made it safely. I hope things go smoothly for you and all you have to do. I will be praying for you! Take care of yourself and keep blogging so we can keep up on each other! I love you!

lauralavon said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, my friend. coffechica told me about the situation. Just want you to know I'm praying for you and thinking of you and your family. We're going through the same sort of thing with my father-in-law. I know it isn't easy.
Love and prayers,
Laura

Aunt JoJo said...

Thank you for your prayers. We really appreciate them! I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I'll be praying for y'all.

Angie said...

Ha Ha! As you recounted your experience of driving out there, I had this very "vivid" , funny picture of every window covereed in your car and little Amber sleeping inside. Ha. Awh! Wow! Don't tell me the speed limit was 55 and you were going 61. Or that it was 65 and you were going UNDER!! Only my grandma car can do that!! =) Anyway, thanks for blogging. Keep in touch!! Miss you!

Ange
p.s Yes.. you are independant!! (that may be an understatement) ;)

Arthur and Jessica said...

My computer was down for awhile, so I'm a little late on this, but I'm so sorry about your dad.
I can't believe you drove all that way by yourself! Bless your heart, what an adventure! Oh, and how DARE you sleep in a Wal-Mart parking lot in OK when you could have called and Mom and Dad would gladly have put you up!!! Or if you were in OKC, I'm sure Liz and Darrell would have put you up! Next time you're passing through, call me! I have connections. :-) Also, if you're ever passing through STL, even if you can't stop for more than lunch, give me a call and I'll meet you somewhere.
I'm praying for you as you start your new life in a new state and under difficult circumstances. I'll try to keep in touch a little better this year. :-P
Take care!
Jessica
P.S. Roll down a hill for me. :-D